From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:47:44 +0100
Sandee please keep an eye open for McCoy, he was put to sleep on Monday
morning, make sure he meets up with his sister Dax and brother Daniel.

McCoy could stand or walk last Wednesday afternoon, his back legs appeared
to be paralysed - similar symptoms to his sister Dax.  I took him to the
vet but when I placed him on the table he struggled to his feet and when I
put him on the floor he actually walked although his left hind appeared to
be a bit weak.  The vet gave him a long acting steroid injection.  I was
at a 3 day show over the bank holiday weekend and on the Monday at 5 am I
heard some scrabbling and bumping from McCoy's cage.  McCoy was in trouble
again and couldn't stand - I took him out of his cage and crawled back into
my sleeping bag with him and nursed him until 0630 when I got up to see to
the rest of the ferrets.  I left McCoy curled up in my sleeping bag and
instructed my two lurchers to be careful when they got on my camp bed.

At 7 am I phoned a friend who was helping on the NFWS stand at the Town &
Country Festival and told her that McCoy was having convulsions - something
Dax never went through.  June said she'd she what she could do when she
arrived at the showground.  At 0930 we went back to my tent to see to McCoy
- he was lying quietly in the box on the folded blanket that covering the
sides and bottom so that he wouldn't hurt himself if he had another
convulsion.  He had another convulsion whilst I was getting the spoons to
crush the tablets that June had brought with her.  This one was much worse
than the others - I just said to June I'll go and get the vet.  The vet and
I were back within 10 minutes, fortunately McCoy had stopped convulsing by
then so the vet had no trouble giving the merciful injection.  McCoy just
drifted off to sleep.  McCoy was 6 years old.

Max is going to be awfully lonely - he's lost all his family now and I
doubt very much if he'll accept another companion.

--
Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & N.F.W.S. News Editor.