From:
Ulrike Hassold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:15:50 -0000
Hi again

Thought I post about my ferret Mason separately.  He went to the vets
today as well and the vet could hear missing heartbeats.  He said he was
regularly missing a beat and was wondering whether that is normal, he said
we can influence the heartbeat by breathing faster or slower, could that be
a reason?  Or does it indicate heart disease?

Mason also stopped eating last spring, he couldn't pick the kibble up,
his teeth/ jaw are all okay.  But he couldn't pick his food up and would
sometimes pick up a mouthful of kibble only to drop it when he tried to
chew/ eat it.  He went really thin so I have been feeding him since, he
gets ground ferret food with water.  I feed him 3 times a day.  Yet he
keeps putting on weight.  He's always been around 1.5kg, slightly more in
winter, slightly less in summer.  When he stopped eating he went down to
1.225kg and he was thin but since I started feeding him he kept putting on
weight:

May       1.225 kg
June      1.275 kg
July      1.6 kg
August    1.875 kg
Septmeber 1.95 kg
October   2.05 kg
November  2.225 kg

He is really fat now even though he still plays and he can even still climb
onto the play frames so I was wondering why he keeps getting more and more
fat?  Could he have metabolic problems?  I also feed my ferret Jilly and
she is on pred and yes, she is plump but no where near obese and she
doesn't put on weight anymore but has stayed the same for months.  She
only put on weight for 1 or 2 months and then stayed stable.

I hope somebody can help...

From Ulrike
and Jilly, Jack, Igor, Bella, Tom, Mason, Baby, Dana, Fox, Reno, Rose, Hope
and Jasmine

Missing Angel
West Wales Ferret Welfare
HTTP://www.ferretlove.freeserve.co.uk/