From:
California Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 23:05:21 -0500
I think I hate this part of my job the most.... bringing sad news.  Northern
CA is seeing ANOTHER Distemper outbreak.

3 have been lost so far.  We are seeing it in smuggled kits from NV that the
owners for what ever reason did NOT follow up with the Distemper shots.
Remember ALL kits must have a series of 3 Distemper shots before they are
considered safe.  The ones from the pet stores in NV are usually MF and have
only had 1, You MUST follow up with the other 2.

It is NOT illegal for a vet to treat ferrets in CA.  He will not turn you in
and Fish and Game is NOT supposed to harrass the vet or their office.  If
you don't have or need a new vet, please contact me via e-mail and I'll get
one for you (I need your city, Zip, and Area code).  For others, PLEASE make
sure your distemper shots are up to date....  Last year some of the animals
we lost were expired by only a few weeks.....  Get them early rather than
late.

REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!  You can carry distemper in on your clothing and not
even know it.  You don't have to take your animals outside or expose it
to another animal.

Distemper is 100% FATAL in ferrets.  If by some miracle they survive the
desease they have to be put down as they become an active carrier and
threaten the lives of other ferrets and dogs in they or the owner may come
acrossed.  If you can carry it into your home, you can carry it out!!!!!!!!!

PS..... PLEASE>>>> PLEASE???? GET THOSE SHOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!