Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:33:17 -0400
Hurricane season is in full swing. This is the time of year we get the
most calls at FERRET. Earlier I posted some information about preparing
for evacuation. Susann Theil made an excellent presentation on
preparing for disaster at the Portland Symposium. Lisa Leidig has
information available on the FERRET site (see link below).

If you are not prepared, get ready. Since most of us who have lived in
hurricane prone areas tend to wait and see what will happen (as opposed
to being on the road with a car full of animals and stuck in traffic),
I urge you to shelter in place.

Get a minimum of 5 gallons of water per person, food that requires no
refrigeration and prep for at least 5 days (cans of tuna, sardines,
food bars, etc. are good, as are the nutrition powders you can add to
water) per person.

Do NOT forget to get the pets meds (AND YOURS) so there is enough for
you. You will need cash, not debit or credit cards.

Get a safe place ready in your home. Plan to have power lost at some
point and prepare a ferret proof area so that if they DID get loose,
they are at least contained.

They do not care about light at night. Get a GOOD flashlight. I like
the waterproof one I use for scuba diving.

The American Red Cross also has some great tips. See my link below.
Also, check out the FERRET website and see if YOU are ready. OH, don't
forget to get those out of area contacts notified to let them know
where you can be reached and what your plans are.

FERRET offers this service to shelters so that all the worriers need
to do is make one call to know you are safe. You can send an email to
[log in to unmask]  Your information will not be given to anyone,
their information is obtained and we will contact YOU.

Stay safe.
--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the