From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 07:12:24 -0800
Hi all.  Been following the abuse line quite closely.  I live in Lincoln,
NE, so don't have the good fortune of ever having even HEARD of a show in
my area, or within a few hours drive, so I have never had any experience
with ferret shows or the various governing bodies.  However, IF what Kathy
said was true, then I do believe there was some neglegance, or at least
ignorance on someones part as to how to properly discipline a ferret.  I
was once told by someone not only ferret-wise but wise in general that to
discipline a ferret physically did very little good because if you were to
hit them hard enough that they didn't think you were playing, you would
have hit them hard enough to HURT them.  Anytime you HURT an animal
intentionally, that is abuse.

However, and I'm not calling Kathy a liar, by any stretch of the
imagination, on the contrary I commend her vigilance, but it is possible
that Kathy didn't know all the facts, saw something that didn't happen,
perhaps...oh I don't know.  But Kathy was appearantly the only witness to
this action who found it offensive, and to be fair we must keep that in
mind.

Vickie McKimmey's post today seemed to pose a slightly different side of
things, of course.  Who's to say.  Anyway, if others have seen similar
shows of abuse at other AFA sanctioned shows, whether or not it is the same
breeder/shelter/anything, this bears a closer look, which I'M SURE THE AFA
WOULD AGREE WITH, since of course, they don't want ANY abuse going on at
their shows.  This doesn't have to be on the part of the AFA, since they
seem to have guidelines themselves about what they can and cannot do with
regards to discipline.  But those of us who do attend AFA shows should be
keeping our eyes out for things like this.  That way, perhaps more than one
person WILL witness and WILL complain about incidents of abuse and then the
AFA WILL have grounds for action.

Oh, and no offense Vickey, but first of all, what point did you have
exactly by bringing up EASTER in your post?  It has no relevance, and
second, just because the stores started selling Easter stuff the day after
St. Patty's Day, doesn't make it the Easter holiday season.  Easter is a
month away.  "Shame on you for hurting us AFA people during a holiday"
Don't be petty.  It isn't a holiday.  If you have been reading, you can't
focus on that one incident, though I am grateful for your side of it, but
geesh!  Look at all the people who have said, "Yeah, I saw something like
that at a different show..."

I am surprised and mildly offended that the only way you chose to respond
was defensively, and by discrediting Kathy.  You SHOULD have responded by
saying, "While that particular incident was less than proven, it appears
that many of you have seen similar things at other shows, which concerns
us here at AFA."  Defending your own reputation, and that of your friends
is FAR LESS IMPORTANT than defending the health and happiness of the fuzzy
ones you supposedly aim to protect.  As I said in the beginning, I have no
experience with ferret shows or their governing bodies besides what I read
here.  And frankly, I'm not sure I want to.  Vickie, ANY report of abuse
should be a concern EVEN IF you know the person accused.  The pedophile
across the street has a good reputation.  He is a nice man who keeps his
home clean and is kind to the children.  Just my two cents.

Melissa