From:
Katie Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1992 14:07:42 -0400
With permission, I am forwarding the letter I received from
Frances Stepp ([log in to unmask]) regarding her ferret
problem.  I have sent her a whole passle o'ferret information
but if anyone else has any suggestions or knows who she can
contact in the U.K., please pass on to the mailing list or
e-mail her directly.  (Chris, could you add her to the list?)

BTW, Frances has since informed me that she has learned this
ferret is a male.

>FROM:    FRANCES STEPP, 100024,415
>TO:      Katherine Fritz, 71257,3153
>DATE:    04/11/92 at 22:42
>
>SUBJECT: Ferret care & feeding
>
>Katie:
>        I can't begin to thank you for your info and consideration!
>The (CIS Pet/Animal) forum has been such a great source of info and
>support (this situation is emotionally tough for me!)
>        Last night I spent two hours on cross-talk with Lenny (Staff)!
>She was marvelous to me!
>        I have down loaded the (ferret) info from the forum and that
>has gotten me through the inital stages.  Let me give you a little
>background....
>        I am in the UK!  But American.  Country is rabies free, so no
>problem in that area....But there is whole lot more trouble in river
>city....
>        I live in one of converted apts in a victorian manor house.
>The owner went on vacation Wednesday night (April 8) and I volunteered
>to feed and care for her animals (Assuming in my mind that said animals
>were being properly cared for initally!!!)  This is a whole other prob
>all together!!!!  I knewn that she had a ferret (I know not, why)
>but did not ever see it.  So on Thurseday, coming home from
>work earliy, I decided to make animal rounds earily (we had beautiful,
>sunny weather, not common for this country!) so that the animals could
>enjoy the weather as well (dogs, goat, etc).  She told me not to bother
>with the ferret because the gardener would do it, because she knew that
>if I saw it I would go ballistic!!! being the animal lover that I am.
>Well, because I did not know the gardener at said time, and being
>concerned with care, I decided to look in on ferret to be sure that it
>had been fed and not forgetten because I could have taken care of it at
>the same time as everyone else.  She had told me that ferret was
>mean.  NOT SO!!!!  But she would have had every right to be, if she
>had!
>        When I went to look in on it, I nearly died!!!!  Poor little
>thing!!!! How she servived all this time is only be God's graces!
>        She is in a large enclosure which in itself is nice, however,
>the conditions is the issue.  Anyway, the enclosure is like a small
>shed about 6 feet by 6 feet and you can stand in it.  It has a mesh
>door and then a solid door.  It is outside, but currently, the weather
>is nice and she is confortable.
>        I wont horrify you with the conditions of the enclosure, but at
>the moment that I was despertly trying to clean this, the gardener had
>come in to feed it and was as horrifed as myself.  He and I cleaned
>all the garbage out.  I have a sheep farmer living next to estate and
>he told me I could have all the straw that I needed.  So we put down
>straw on the bottom of this shed because it was WET.  I gave her FRESH
>WATER (She didn't even have that at this time!!!) and placed her back
>inside.  We left the solid door open for the rest of the day-light
> [...]

I have a second, equally long letter from Frances from 4/12, but
will send it later -- lunch is calling my name!!

Katie