From:
Beth Randall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:11:51 -0800
>From: Kim Fox Subject: I have got to vent
>
>Hey shelters & rescues, don't you just love these people who intend
>on dumping their ferrets on you that act like their doing YOU a HUGE
>favor because Bandit comes with this wonderful cage and all of his
>toys...and oh, bonus,...he has papers too! Well zippidee do da. You
>definitely get the responsible ferret companion award for including
>all of these wonderful things while you abandon your animal that you
>have most likely had since it was a kit and is now four plus years old.
>
>One time I had a guy with enough nerve to tell me I was making quite
>a living.... A LIVING MIND YOU....at this because we charge adoption
>fees.

Oh Kim- I ( and all the other shelter moms & dads) know exactly what
you mean!! I cant tell you how often the first thing we say when
meeting another shelter operator is about how often it is that we get
a call from someone so excited to be giving us a "free" ferret(or any
animal) ! wow! we are soooo lucky!!!! How can we ever thank them!!??
Oh... maybe by. uh... taking care of this free animals for the rest of
its life! spending thousands of dollars over the course of its life on
food, medical treatment, care, treats, toys, housing etc- grrrr.......

I had a great time meeting the shelter mom for the Ferret Nook this
weekend at an event in WI & she agreed that we could do this forever &
not have one second's hesitation about cleaning cages, being pooped on,
giving 110% to each & every little life, never going anywhere bc we
have a gazillion animal that need care, basing our entire lives around
the critters, constant fund raising, etc- but the big negative is the
people that we deal with! the idiots that say oh how sweet- i had a
ferret - but it ran away, or my dog ate it, or it just died for no
reason- argh....then going on to say maybe ill get another one, or a
rabbit......................

ya know if the funds were there it would sure help too- the constant
battle to raise enough to survive and maybe only put in a few hundred $
a month out of pocket for once is hard enough, but even that is better
than these idiots that should never have an animal of any kind- like
the homeless woman who didnt have money for an apartment but still
bought a ferret & a small cage & kept them in the back seat of her car!
luckily she decided it wasnt such a great idea & brought us the ferret
when she was only 3 months old- she'd only had to live in the car for
a month- ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But then there are people like the woman who had a rabbit for its whole
life- 12 yrs, and let it run free most of the time in her home, and
gave it lots of love, and when it passed away she found us & adopted
one of our very sweetest gentlest bunnies, and she brought us a ton of
supplies for the other animals and she gave us a dsonation of $ too -
those kind of folks - tho few & far between - keep us all going too-

I think Ill go open up another package of treats for our fuzzies -
they get seconds today- just because i'm glad theyre here & safe with
us now :) then its fresh strawberries for the rabbits & guinea pigs
because the store that donates our produce ( yet more nice people!)
had a bunch of them in the last batch! so its a good day for critters,
and that's what really counts!

beth
www.crittercamp.biz