From:
sandy robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 00:03:21 -0600
Hi,I'm Sandi & I operate Heaven Scent Shelter in Dothan,Al.

Some of you may remember some posts over the course of a couple years that
I've done about a BAD petstore.Here's another update.

While out this afternoon,before work,I drove by this bad store to see on
their sign that they had ferrets.Had to check as this place DOESN"T take
proper care of any of the animals but they don't like ferrets.They've said
this & I asked why they sell them if they don't like ferrets.Because they
sell very well at $149 - $250.

When I went in,there's 3 tiny kits about 7 weeks old.They are WAY TO
THIN!!!!!They where trying to get some chunks (big) of some type of cat
food up thru the wires.They'd knocked over their food.No water,no hammies
or anything to lay on,no litter box.Just a wire bottom for them to lay on.A
lady was looking at them when I walked up & opened the cage.They started
biting the blood out of me.I'd just eaten & they smelled food on me.People
are gathering around now asking if them biting me hurts?Of course it hurt!
But I didn't slap,shout,ect at the kits.I put them back into the cage &
went in search of a sales person,when I ran into the owner.I told Ron that
the ferrets had no food & water.Gave him their bowl.He said he'd get some.I
went back to the kits but didn't open the cage.They were eating their own
poop!!!They were so hungry.

I walked over to the wall in the bird section & got a clip on feeder,the
kind that hooks on the lip of a cage & hold a few ozs.Then I went & grabbed
a bag of L&M ferret food oof the shelf & opened it,filled the bird cup ,put
it in the cage.They started fighting over the food big time.By this time,
Ron comes back with the empty bowl & says" Thats why we only feed them once
a day."I took the bowl out of his hands & filled it,put it in the cage as
well.Those poor babies are starving!!

I've dealt with this idiot before trying to educate him on ferrets.Ended up
always having to get the AC in on him.But it doesn't last.So,in this God
forsaken state that has only 3 whole very vaugely written sentences
concerning animal cruelty,where do I get someone to do something to help
these kits?

I've sent letters to all of the animal officails & gotten no reply.I'm
saying the Humane Soc,Paws,SPCA,PETA,ect.There's got to be something more
I can do.Ant ideas would be wonderful.

Thanks & ferret kisses to all the fuzzies