From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:38:58 EST
Last I had writen you all, Sean was entering a very difficult stage in
life.  To recap, he has emerged from autism so much so, that now he is
aware that he is "different".  He always knew he had autism and what it
meant.  But he never knew that other kids saw him differently... until
now.  He is in the fifth grade and is now painfully aware of how the
world sees him.  In addition, due to his great strides, he is being
mainstreamed more and more, auditing regular academic classes.  He enjoys
those.  He enjoys the fact that this year he has been able to also join
sports outside of school very succesfully.  I told you all of this.  I
did so in preparation for the worst.  The worst can be a drastic
regression, although that would be very unusual.  What is more usual is
a very severe depression during his teen years.  This is all common with
children who seem to emerge or "get better" with their autism and appear
to be normal after a not so normal childhood.  At best, he would just
have a few more challenges emotionally adjusting to everything.

Well, several weeks ago, Sean came home off the bus very stoicly to only
collapse in my arms weeping.  I cannot begin to tell you how scary this
was for me.  This was an everyday occurance for about 8 or 9 school days.
The school and I had and was doing everything we could to help.  But we
were not helping it seemed.  I was one day from picking up the phone to
his psychiatrist to resort to exteme measures (delicate therapy, and
pharmaceutical help).  Then it stopped.  He got a grip on things.  He was
not totally back to his old self, but the sobbing had dimminished to just
some tears, and then eventually no tears.  We were stumped as to what was
happening.

It was last week, that we noticed he was literally almost back to his
old self.  What happened?  Why now is he better.... nothing has changed.
That is when my husband Scott (god,,,, here come the damn tears again)...
picked up on something I was blind to.  Sean got a sudden obsession with
Rocky the week before the crying stopped.  He was with him all the time
when he was home.  He was talking to him again, instead of just playing
or cuddling with him.  And even more extremely, Sean has set up a whole
play pen area for Rocky in his room, next to his bed.  He goes down and
gets Rocky every night, tucks him in and goes to sleep.  He is still
doing this.  He has set up in the play pen a liter pan, food, water, two
tents, five blankets, and so many stuffies and toys the poor animal can
barely walk.  He even brushes his teeth with Rocky.

I am a little worried for Rocky sometimes.  He is an incredibly sensitive
ferret.  I know he must miss his cagemates and sleeping with them, and
wonders why he must endure dangling from this childs arm while he brushes
his teeth with the other hand each morning.  My husband feels very
strongly that Sean did what came natural to him.  He leaned on a friend.
He leaned on the stability that got him through all the rough times in
the past.  He is still using him for that security.  So I dare not
intervene.  Everything is working out.  I think Rocky is happy.  He's
such a funny little creature its hard to tell compared to some of my
other ferrets.  He is so much in love with this little boy, he really
doesn't mind being cuddled while this kiddo does his business on the
potty.  Lol.  You can just see the adoration in Rocky's eyes.  When Sean
stops his contant kissing, Rocky lifts his nose up to Seans face for more
each time.  And Sean knows this, and gives him kisses in return.  It's a
major change for Rocky, sleeping in Seans room and I think he loves being
with him and the change.  But as Rockys other caregiver, I worry...it's
in my nature.

Know that I will watch out for both boys and take care of them well.  I
won't let any harm come to either.  I just wanted to update you all on
this.  I am just dumbfounded that once again, a little creature could do
more than what a whole school of caring adults or I, his mother, could do.

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/