From:
Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 19:36:51 EDT
I agree with others that the BEST harness and leash I have ever owned comes
from Warm Fuzzy Ferret Rescue.  They are wonderful!

A word of caution on the Hagen harnesses: in my opinion, they have the
potential to be deadly.  I wouldn't use them.  I got one for my Scooter and
fastened it around the squirming little guy.  Both fasteners went in easily.

We walked for a while, and then he wanted OUT, NOW!!!  I got one of the
fasteners separated easily, but the other one WOULD NOT come undone.
Scooter started to panic, and I did, too.  Finally, I wound up greasing the
poor little guy up with petroleum jelly, throwing on some soap and water in
addition, and sliding him out of it.

Once it was off, I could NOT get that second latch open to save my life!  I
immediately returned the harness to the pet store, where they needed a
knife, and a lot of effort, to get it undone.  It turns out that I had put
the second latch together upside down.  It slid together perfectly, however,
and the latch looks almost exactly the same upside down and right side up
(especially when you are struggling to get it onto a squirmy animal and are
not inspecting it closely in the process).

This has a LOT of potential to be dangerous if you accidentally adjust the
harness too tightly, put it on the animal wrong, and it fastens too tightly
to get it undone.  I tried out the other Hagen ferret harnesses in the
store, and it turned out that they all have the same problem.  I wrote to
the manufacturer, but they never had the courtesy to write back.  I just
thought I'd pass this on to all of you ....

- Ela