From:
Nancy Busso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 14:16:02 EDT
Daisy left for the Rainbow Bridge on Monday. I was volunteering at the
local food bank and found her curled up in a hammock when I got home
I knew she was planning on leaving because she had been battling 2
cancers. She had only been here since last winter when I took her in
when a woman lost her job, home and nearly everything she owned. Daisy
was the last of a group of 3 ferrets that the woman had loved for many
years. It was a heartbreaking situation. Daisy's first mom kept in
regular contact with me and was planning on sending Christmas gifts,
(hammocks sewn by hand), not only for Daisy but for the rest of my
crew. It was very hard to email her with the news. I don't think she
has regular use of a computer because I have yet to hear back from her.
Perhaps she uses the ones at the library in the town she lives in.

Daisy had the most beautiful fur of any girl ferret in the world. It
was ultra long, thick and just gorgeous. Even battling adrenal she
never lost her gorgeous coat. Her group is devastated. I knew she was
leaving because a couple days before I saw her curled up in a hammock
with all the ones in her original group sleeping in a circle around
her. The next day it was just Travis and her entangled close as they
could get to one another. Daisy fell in love with medically fragile
Travis when he arrived from the OR Ferret Shelter less than a month
ago. I left Daisy's body in the cage for a day and a night so that her
family could grieve. Hardest hit was Precious "the park baby" who kept
trying to wake up her "grandma" Daisy so that she could play with her.
I buried Daisy where all the others have been buried that left for the
Bridge, surrounded by spruce, madrone and redwood trees where wild
rhodies entwine their branches and rose bushes vie for the sunlight.
It is a peaceful spot that I visit often.

Nancy in OR with her 20 ferrets,
missing Daisy