From:
Pamela E Troutman and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 10:41:19 EDT
>From:    Minta Ruark
>Subject: unaltered pet store ferrets
>It always makes me mad when I see ferrets for sale in pet stores that are
>unaltered

This is why it is very important to work with local and state animal groups
to get a law passed that requires the sterilization of all companion pets
sold through pet shops and shelters BEFORE sale.  And, as an added bonus,
no animal should be sold to the public before it is 8 weeks old.

Can it be done?  Arkansas adopted HB 1442 where pounds, shelters and humane
organizations in counties with 300,000 or more residents are prohibited
from releasing animals more than 2 months old until they are sterilized.
It is a start, but why can't that be extended to cover all counties AND
all pet outlets?

If animal lovers can't stand to see pets end up in shelters or sold without
regard to population control, then you need to find out what your state
laws are and rectify the problem.

Pam, Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets