From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:33:14 -0400
I'd just like to throw in my .02 and agree with Erin about time out from
cages.  My free roam 3 yr olds probably only sleep an average of 16 hours
a day, sometimes less (especially Giesela), sometimes more.  I don't know
where this "1 hour" came from but I've seen it mentioned on TV (sorry Mary
but I don't agree), in newspapers from interviews with club sponsored rescue
people etc.  Every time I see "1 hour" I absolutely cringe.

As for tail wagging - when I first got dryer tube they tail wagged but it
doesn't excite them much any more.  Giesela does tail wag when she has her
head down a chipmunk hole.  Not every hole so I'm assuming only holes with
an occupant or a recent occupancy.  Actually first her sides do this bellows
thing, then her tail does something more akin to a rattlesnake shake.  More
bellows, rattle rattle.  Then she commences digging.  Then much to her
disappointment I usually pull her off so she doesn't tangle with something.
Every day after work I walk the dog before I even go inside.  When I get
back she's waiting at the door for her turn and she knows what her harness
means.  She'd be sooooo happy as an English hunting ferret - her prey drive
is so high.  Boris on the other hand could take it or leave it.

Mary, Giesela and Boris