From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:00:47 -0400
>They xrayed him and found what appeared to be a large mass off his
>bladder.  They tried putting a needle into the mass and came out with
>urine.  He started getting worse so we opted for immediate surgery.  They
>found what appeared to be a second bladder that was attached to the normal
>bladder.  They removed it and tied it off.  Urine was going from one to
>the other and he was unable to extract it.  They sent the second bladder
>in for test and it came back with nothing abnormal...
>
>Our vet said he had never seen anything like this before. Any help?

Accessory bladders, also known as cystic diverticula or the "triple bladder
syndrome" in ferrets is an uncommon developmental problem.  The cystectomy
that was performed is the correct approach.

The persistently low temp and listlessness is not encouraging, however.
I would wonder if there might be a leak from the surgery site, or if the
ferret is now having trouble urinating - the majority of these cases do
well after surgery.  A CBC and a chemistry panel is probably warranted in
this case.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at