From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 14:00:03 -0500
Subject: black ferrets

>is there a coloration of ferrets that is all black?

>What I did see, however, is a photo of an adorable
>young ferret in an advertisement (for a breeder)

Lars knows the breeder who actually took that photo - it was not the one
running the ad.  Talk to him about Angoras - I'm less than satisfied with
the company that ran the ad.  Lars is on the list.  I hope he also responds.
He had a pair up at the LAFF show last weekend.

A ferret that is all black is a Black Solid.  They usually have white around
the face but thats about all.  I personally find them not as attractive as
you would think but some folks rave about them.  I do know breeders who
specialize in them - but they are relatively rare.  Most are a sable which
is almost but not true black.

>But I too would like to hear of other "black" ferrets.  And do these
>"angoras" breed at all true?

The angora part is seperate from the color.  I have some that approach but
are not quite angoras.  I do not know of any breeders in the US or Canada
that have them at this point.  I've heard that it is one of those quirky
traits like Waardensburg patterns that doesn't seem as good if homogeneous.
But that is anecdotal.

>Subject: Sandboxes
Apparently quoted from Deborah Jeans' book.
>THE SAND COULD CAUSE IMPACTION IF INGESTED.

There are quite a few who do not feel this is the best book to take
all information from.  The author is a relative new comer to ferrets.

If sand is such a danger so is dirt, kitty litter and any other substance
that is granular and undigestible.  Ferrets and polecats do just fine in
soil and sand from all I've read, heard and observed.  The beach though is a
temperature problem in the summer.  Ferrets like to dig.  Unless you
actually see them eating sand I'd be surprised if it was a real problem.

>From:    "Sandy E. Schieman" <[log in to unmask]>
>Bill and Zen: Thanks for the help you gave Kelleen regarding Rocki.

Well thats what we do...
>Your advice and knowledge are always welcomed and appreciated.  BTW,
>since you are into the Zen thing ...

If a ferret poops in a corner and no-one is there to watch, does it count
as a miss?

A student asked Josho, "Does a ferret have Buddha nature?"
Josho replied "Does a ferret have anything else?"

>From:    Jack Holbrook <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Misc suggestions
>This is why Ferrets are called Exotics there are so many colors 38 to be
>exact and so many differrent breeds that have fitch and marten bred in
>them to get the angura fur quality out.

I don't think this is quite accurate.  I do not know of 38 colors.  Fitch
means ferret and I don;t believe marten was bred in to get angora - at
least by the breeder I know of who has them.

>You also have the Demigigus which is the largest of the ferret family
>that gets between 5 to 8 pounds some bigger at times.

Uh... Demi Gigas was a ferret bred by Doug McKay of Ohio.  I have his
background at home.  Doug refers to all of his sables with this particular
male in their backgrounds as Demi Gigas.  We have quite a few with this
background - our Genghis Khan for example who is one of our better males for
show and breeding.  They are not the largest but they do tend to have a
decent size.  Six pounds and up is common.

I'll not comment on the advertising.  I do agree about the descenting.
I don't know what food Mr. Holbrook is talking about  several of the
ranches use a mink food which is cheaper and not unhealthy for ferrets.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://userwww.qnet.com/~killian/zen_home.htm