From:
Laurel Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 16:07:06 -0800
I appreciate the input of Shelli on the use of bleach - it IS a useful and
powerful aid to disinfection.  I see it somewhat akin to antibiotics in
that it has saved alot of lives, and is an excellent disinfectant in areas
otherwise unsafe but may be overused in our society.  It does, however,
release chlorine as a gas (I *believe* that is it's more dangerous form, as
it is then absorbed through lung tissue), and I've read that dioxins are one
of the more carcinogenic and environmentally dangerous releases from your
average household.  I also have a chlorine filter on my shower head and use
peroxide based bleach, if any, in my laundry.  Please realize that I'm a
Northern CA born and raised environmentalist with an organic yard and garden
and a (soon to be ) propane fueled car, and my hobbies include building from
recycled material (but I don't wear Birkenstocks!) ...... in other words, my
views are not for everyone.  I understand that and appreciate other's ideas
and opinions ( mostly *g* ) - without other views, where would I learn
anything?  I only wanted to present another option to anyone with similar
concerns (it only takes 2 drops of tea tree oil in a normal size squirt
bottle to affect scent, and my experience with it leads me to believe that
it disinfects mildly in such dilute amounts).  This is somewhat off topic
except that one reason I don't want to use bleach is that I'd prefer to keep
questionably carcinogenic chemicals away from ferrets (which are known to
have adrenal problems, etc..) Oh and in response to what you heard on the
radio - I DO use baking soda instead of Ajax, etc.  Anyway, thank you,
Shelli, for presenting the other side of this issue as I honestly believe
both have merit and deserve representation.

Laurel

[Moderator's note: What to use to clean cages and such is an appropriate
topic, of course.. though we have to keep it related to ferrets please.

Well, since I'm writing, I've tried lots of stuff, and really like:
1) Citrus-based cleaners such as CitraSolv for heavy duty cleaning,
2) Roccal, a veterinary cleaner/disinfectant/odor-killer for day-to-day
   chores.  I sometimes use bleach too, but not for most things.  BIG]