From:
Jannine Healy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 20:51:08 +1200
Saddly I lost my first baby, Yikes about 2 weeks ago.  He was only a year
and half, and we had only had him about half a year.  I couldnt believe how
badly it hit me, I didnt even want a ferret really untill Dan brought him
home.  It took a few hours of jumping out his way when he came near me and
much nervousness, but he got me hooked well and truely.  Two weeks later
along came MY ferret, Hailee she is beautiful, and a nice nature but
prefers the company of the dogs and other ferrets, whereas Yikes was very
affectionate.  I miss him terribly and realise that Hailee really needs a
companion.  But after reading all the postings about pet ferrets dying I am
scared to lose another!  Yikes died very suddenly, without warning and it
would break my heart (AGAIN) to come home to another baby just gone like
that!

Hailee has become very keen for attention from me , though she still
prefers the company of Shaydee (Hailees dog), it is a relief though to
know that she still has someone now that Yikes has passed on.  I guess my
question is, will Hailee be okay for a while without another ferret around?
We really need more time to get over what has happened and I think it would
be nice to get a bit closer to Hailee before getting another!  I have
friends that have ferrets but she only seems them twice a month, is this
enough contact for a ferret such as herself?

Also, I live in New Zealand and there are a FEW ferret associations here.
What saddens me is that they are all backstabbing and putting each other
down, it is really pathetic.  I thought the idea of an association like
that was to enforce ferrets as cute, fun, frustrating, exhausting pets
(hee hee, you have to agree they are 90% of the time).  I think it would
be very offputting for a person considering getting a ferret as pet, to be
introduced to it in this manner.  Has anyone else encountered this same
problem?  I realise it comes in all shapes and sizes, dog shows and cat
committees etc not just ferrets, but surely its more important for us to
come together and stand up for our beloved pets as there is the chance
(like everywhere else) that the !@nk%$s will be able to stop us keeping
them as pets!

Anyway I didnt mean to go so much, but as this is my first posting I really
did need to unload my feelings.

Catch yas all later!

Jannine (loving mother)
Hailee (top dog, well really shes a ferret but you know how the saying goes)
Shaydee (Hailees Dog)
Shelly (Shaydees pup)
Sunnee (Cat who thinks she is a ferret)
Moonie and Rainey (cute kitten duo, who arent allowed near Hailee because
she likes to wrap them up in.. plastic bags, t-shirts, teatowels and
anything else she has hiding behind the entertainment system)

And never forgotten Yikes, we love you little man and miss you lots and
lots.