From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 1996 10:13:26 -0400
I'd just like to echo Bill Killian's advice on vaccinations.  This is my
opinion.  I'm not a vet or vet tech.

UNLESS YOUR FERRET HAS HAD A REAL, AND KNOWN ALLERGIC REACTION TO THE
VACCINE IN THE PAST, VACCINATE!!

If your ferret has had one of the rare and severe vaccine reactions, don't
even think about skipping the annual distemper vaccination.  If you live in
one of the growing number of states that will grant a vaccinated ferret a
quarantine, don't skip the annual rabies vaccinations.  If you live in a
state that automatically kills and tests ferrets involved in a nip or
scratch, a rabies vaccination may still save it's life by defusing the
situation.  There are a few doctors out there that know ferrets do not
spread rabies, and won't report a bite if the ferret is vaccinated.

The only time you should even THINK, about not vaccinating is if that ferret
has had a severe allergic reaction to that vaccine in the past.  As Bill
points out, that is fortunately rare.

Again for emphasis:

1.  Select a ferret knowledgeable vet as if your ferret's life depended on
it.  It does.  It's well worth while to drive an extra 30 or more miles to a
vet that knows ferrets, than to a vet that's "Just around the corner" but
rarely treats ferrets.
2.  Space the rabies and distemper at least two weeks apart.
3.  Premedicate with Pediatric Benedryl about 30-40 minutes prior to the
vaccination.  Check with your vet on the recommended dosage.
4.  Stay in the vet's office for a minimum of 30 minutes after the
vaccination.  Watch your ferret carefully.  If it shows signs of collapse,
vomiting/retching, loose bowels; or bright red skin and poofed fur; scream
for your vet and don't let any well meaning receptionist put you off.

99.5% of the time, your ferret will not have a problem, and will be
protected from this deadly airborne virus, canine distemper for at least
another year.

As Bill said, distemper is a horrible disease in ferrets.  There is a new
treatment that MIGHT result in a cure, but it is very expensive; it might
result in your ferret surviving but being severely crippled; the nearly one
month duration of the treatment does not completely stop the agony that the
ferret is suffering during the disease.

At our shelter we handle about 100 ferrets a year.  All get both rabies and
distemper vaccinations.  If we don't know the vaccination history, they get
two distemper vaccinations to build up their imunity. That's how much we
believe in vaccinating.

Dick B.