From:
Jim Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 04:40:37 -0700
Today I write with a heavy heart, concerning a group of 11 ferrets turned
loose in the woods of Northern Maine.

We have been working with a vet in the Bangor Maine area, who got word
that a couple was going thru a divorce, and had a group of 11 ferrets
that neither of them wanted any more.  The vet, Dr. Sandra Kudrack, was
trying to contact this woman thru a third party client of hers, to get
her to turn them over to a shelter or hold them until they could be
transported down to us.  We had made arrangements with several Ferret
Club members to do "Foster care" until other arrangements could be made.

Yesterday, (8-1-03) I received an email from Dr. Kudrack, that this third
party had stated that the ferrets were turned loose into the woods.  We
do not know the exact area where they were turned loose, but we are
trying to get more information.  If we can narrow it down, we will try to
get some people to make the trip to the Bangor area to stomp thru the
woods in hopes of finding some of these "babies" still alive.

It's been raining up here for the past two days, heavy at times, at it
tends to get cold in the woods at night.  As you may know, rural Maine
can be a dangerous place for small defenseless animals turned loose into
her woods.  There are any number of carnivores that could look upon a
ferret as a easy meal.  Fishers, foxes, coyotes, bears, any number of
things to be wary of...for animals that know no fear.

I'm sorry for making this so long, and did not intend to depress anyone
with this story.  I write this in the hopes that someone that may know
these ferrets, will contact us with info, or convince the former owner to
contact us, so we may find these poor babies.

I also hope that people will realize that ferrets are not capable of
surviving in the woods of Maine, after being domesticated for so long.
Seldom will they come upon a bowl of ferret food or cat food out in the
middle of the vast forests up here.

People, please remember that ferrets are not throw away pets.  You make
a commitment to them when "You" purchase them from that pet store, or
when "You" adopt them from that shelter.  Just because your life changes,
why do you feel you need to throw these poor creatures away?  I don't
understand you.  There are so many rescue groups around that WILL take
these kids in, no questions asked...

all you have to do is call us.

Ferret Rescue of Maine
A State licensed, 501c3 Non-profit ferret shelter.
Donate to shelter ferrets by clicking
igive.com or use Paypal