From:
Phyllis Elledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Oct 2005 09:50:02 -0400
I too have been to Sandi's several times over the past few years.  The
first time just for a day or two and the last time for almost two weeks.
And believe me her ferrets welfare comes first.  Let me give you a quick
rundown of her day.

She's up around 6:30.  The group of ferrets that has been out in each
room overnight is fed their soup and any needing meds are tended to.
While they are eating their cages and litter pans are cleaned and she
gives them fresh food and water.  Once they are back in their cages the
next group in let out in each room.  Same routine with these guys.  In
each of the two rooms there several groups that don't get along well so
they have to be kept apart.  But each 'group' gets at least 8 hours a day
out of the cage.  Fresh food and water is replenished in both rooms for
the ones that are out can have it.  The litter pans and newspapers (for
those that prefer to go BESIDE the litter pan!) are changed.  The rooms
are vaccumed several times weekly and the carpets are steam cleaned
regularly.  She is even going to start John Boy (the albino boy from the
other shelter with the bad leg and hip... whom she re-named after my
hubby) on some water therapy to try and strengthen his leg some more.

Then Sandi has time for Sandi.  Up until 2PM she does whatever it is that
she needs/has to do for herself...  grocery shopping, doctor, mowing
the yard, etc.  However this time sometimes has to be used for the
fuzzies too if any vet visits are needed.  But at 2 she still has to
go to work and doesn't get off until 11:00 PM.

Then the ones that need meds twice a day and need that second helping of
soup are tended to.  And another rotation for playtime is put in motion.
If she's lucky she's in bed by midnight.  And this is pretty much how her
days are for six days of the week as she only has Sunday off from her
regular job.  But she manages, by herself, to take care of the needs of
all of the ferrets in her shelter.  It would be so nice if someone in her
area could volunteer to help her out at least one or two days a week.
And although I've never heard her complain about taking care of these
ferrets I know that she'd appreciate it.

Thank you to the person that adopted the group from Sandi that we got
out of that other shelter.  They really need and deserve a good, loving
person to spoil them rotten!!  Thanks for giving them a Forever Home!

And Sandi, don't go getting all big-headed and teary-eyed over what
I've said!!  And I'm not saying any of this just because Sandi and I are
friends.  Truth is truth.  And the truth is that I for one think you are
doing a great job ... especially by yourself ... and I hope you can keep
up the good work for a long time to come.

As for the other shelter in FL, we are still hoping and praying that AC
will see fit to close this shelter and will allow us to go in and get the
ferrets out of there.  I've got my 27' motorhome gassed up and ready to
go on a rescue if needed!!!