From:
Rbossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1998 19:48:18 EDT
Melinda wrote:
>He said he can not prescribe the medications he would give dogs in this
>condition, like lasix ect... because it would be lethal to the ferret.

Although lasix may be lethal to a ferret, it will help congestive heart
disease (cardiomyopathy) if administered properly and the ferret's hydration
is monitored.  Our Abby was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy nearly 4 years
ago.  She was treated with lasix on a daily basis, then weaned over to a
Duck Soup recipe containing vitamins C, E, CoQ-10 and alpha Lipoic acid.
She still gets the lasix every so often (maybe once a month) when she begins
coughing.  She's over 8 years old now and still active.

Your vet should be able to prescribe 1-4 mg/kg of lasix once a day,
according to Hillyer, et.  al.  "Ferrets Rabbits and Rodents, Clinical
Medicine and Surgery." Maybe you should buy your vet a copy for reference.
I believe Amazon.com carries it.

Dick B.  - not a vet.