From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:39:50 -0500
Oooh, I just read the "lost kodo" post and was so glad to see he was
found safe (if not sound).  The post reminded me of my missing Baby (it's
happened a couple of times over the four years I've had her).  It starts
with a quick check of the usual spots.  Then all fuzzie sleeping places,
then a recheck of the usual spots , (heartbeat picks up here), then a
check of all possible places a ferret could be- by now feeling panic and
rifling through my apartment crazily.  Then a check of all spots that a
ferret couldn't possibly be.  Then a check of (oh god!) all places a
ferret should not be (think freezer, trapped between furniture, etc).
Then you discover that "hidden" fuzzie sleeping spot.  The newest for
baby is her own self made hammy.  She apparently goes inbetween the
blankets of my bed, then walks off the edge of the mattress on the side
where they are tucked in under the mattress.  Her weight causes a small
pull on the blanket but does not release it from the mattress.  So there
my little one hangs, all snug and cozy in her blanket sling - a self
made hammy.  There she sleeps contentedly until her crazy frantic Mommy
discovers this small warm bulge hanging innocently on the edge of the
mattress, under the comforter and barely noticeable to even the trained
ferret-owned human eye.

She yawns and stretches, refreshed from her private nap.  I collapse,
relieved to have found her safely, and ready for my pounding heart to
settle down.

Risa