From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:55:05 -0500
>The SOS was kind enough to offer assistance and with that we are
>moving to test all outgoing ferrets for ADV before transport.

That is good news. I think it's an excellent idea to test everyone
prior to transport. So, in addition to relocating to help an
overcrowded shelter, people can feel more comfortable about coming
in contact with those ferrets. And, for future large transports,
shelters/rescues now know, if they didn't already, they can ask SOS
for assistance.

>As to my comment referring to you as "one in every group" YES I feel
>as though you are attacking me and the Broward Ferret Rescue and this
>is not fair.

Don't take this personally. I was questioning the protocol being
followed. It was never a personal attack. I don't know you or any of
the other people involved. Rather than feeling you are being treated
unfairly, be proactive. That would have been the perfect time for you
to INFORM everyone publicly. End of story.

>Perhaps if you offered help, instead of attacking the effort, and
>emailed me in regard to this I would have shared with you the
>information I gave everyone else who asked.

I thought you understood that I WAS considering offering to help with
the transport. I copied you in my original post to the FML. You had
every opportunity to answer my questions on the same day I asked them
on the FML. Instead, you posted again without answering the questions.
I am in N. Florida, right on the route. I figured if I had questions,
others would also. I was waiting for additional information. Those
issues should have been addressed initially. People shouldn't have
to ask. Think of a relatively new owner who may not know to even ask
those questions. I did hear from two other people, also on the route,
who chose not to help transport based on the lack of information.

I know there are some people who haven't been around the ferret
community as long as I have. I remember when ADV first began to spread
and become a national/international concern. Putting good protocols
in place has helped tremendously with this disease. You don't hear
nearly as much about it now, which may be why some people think it's
okay not to worry about it. I remember several distemper outbreaks
due to ferrets not being properly vaccinated and some with falsified
documents. I heard about the horrors of watching ferrets die and not
being able to help them. And, how about ECE? You don't hear about that
nearly as much now because we have learned to take precautions against
it. Some of us have elderly/sick ferrets who are no longer vaccinated,
and have bad immune systems, so don't want to needlessly risk exposing
them to something.

There are people out there who have been involved in very large rescues
and transports. The very first person I always think of is Barb Clay,
with Rocky's in Maryland. Barb follows a very strict protocol and has
successfully carried out several large rescues and relocations. I'm
quite certain she would be willing to give advice if only asked. I also
think I recall that the IFC (?) is putting together some protocols for
future rescues. Is that correct, and what is the status of that? I hope
it will eventually be put on a website.

I'm glad this issue came to light so that maybe future transports can
be handled differently with full disclosure. That's really what this is
all about. It's not personal, it's not a war; it's about protecting our
pets.

I wish you a successful and safe transport and relocation.

Katharine
Florida