From:
Brad Falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 21:30:56 -0500
If you're eating, you may want to skip this post.

I have a question about ferrets vomiting.  Pixel did so today out of the
blue, without warning.  She was eating her TF, then went off and started to
gag and hoark and vomited up a good chunk of hardly-digested food.

I went to investigate of course, and see what was wrong.  As soon as Pixel
saw me approach, she immediately started to gobble up what she had just
vomited and acted as if I was trying to take a favorite treat from her.  By
the time I got her away from the scene of the incident, there was hardly was
anything left for me to clean up...

I know this is disgusting at best, but I have never seen either of our
ferrets do this, even though both of them have vomited in the past.  Usually
they leave the "present" lying around for one of us to find.

I'm particluarly worried when Pixel vomits, because she had an intestinal
blockage two years ago and almost died from it.

This incident was much different, and she is fine now and even has been
eating again.  Has anyone seen this behavior in their ferrets before
(vomiting up food and then eating it again?) What does it mean?  Is this
worrisome behavior or is it normal?

Claudia
Los Angeles, CA