From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1993 17:01:46 -0400
> >From the Greater Chicago Ferret Association (GCFA).
>         Shelter Arrivals exceed 1400!

Roger, you don't mean that you *currently* have 1400 ferrets, I hope!!!
If you do, you should really get in touch with some of the shelters
in MD, VA, PA, DE, etc...  The shelters over here have been
running on empty for close to a year.  We can't get them in fast
enough.

> Special guest speaker Dr. Susan Erdman from M.I.T. will talk to us concerning
> causes and ways to prevent lymphoma in ferrets.

Can you (or someone) please take notes on this?  Or, better yet, find
out if she has some papers already written on it, and pass them on
to us?

> From:   [log in to unmask] (Jill A. Kaszynski)
> Subject: ferret harnesses

The AFA is probably going to be very upset with me for this, but
I really like FerretStuff's collars.  (soft, supple suede - easy
to add extra holes to)  If their harnesses are made of the same stuff
I would highly recommend them.  I also do not like velcro harnesses,
they tend to come undone, which has some scary possible consequences.
(of course, many can wriggle out of buckle ones, too)  On the
other hand, many people swear by velcro, so just take that as a
personal preference of my own.

While I'm at it, I do *NOT* like the silly "ferret harnesses" that
you find at pet stores that are basically just a cord with some
hardware attached.  (the ones on the cardboard ferret)  They
are too hard to adjust, not wide enough to distribute any force,
you have to really pinch the ferret's ribs to get them fastened
tight enough - you have to pull them up about 3/4 inch more shorter
than the adjusted length to fasten them, they are too short, etc...

I've tried several types.  The ones that I currently prefer are cut-down
nylon dog harnesses ("H" shaped).  I prefer them over the "8" shaped ones.
Just take the smallest dog harness you can get and make more holes with
a heated wire and cut off the excess.  The only thing to worry about
when you buy it is that the ends with the buckle on them aren't too
long to go around the middle of the ferret, as that side is difficult
to shorten.

(when you cut off the excess, use a heated knife or other straight
edge - you have to melt it, if you just cut it it will unravel.)

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                                   CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                                U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
          Owner of Percy, Bree, & Popcorn, the ferrets