From:
steve austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:24:43 -0500
I am also concerned about bringing a ferret to a show.  Anytime we bring
our animals to an area where there are many others poses a risk.  I think
going to the vet, or a pet store that allows animals is also risky.  The
question is how much of a risk??  I know that the ferrets sneeze, etc.  The
size of the aerosolized particles are extremely small, I know in pediatrics
that certain organisms are spread easily via air, and others are too large
to spread far.  or are not air borne.  Also, certain bugs die right away,
and others last a long time on items such as clothing, tables, door knobs.
I guess if you have ever been on the subway, or crowded classroom you know
the risk of getting an infection- the flu for example.  Good handwashing,
and reasonable use of a germicide should help.  Nothing is a guarantee.
Let's ask the show people, those involved in the shows.  Or those involved
in the dog shows for years- has there been any problem with disease spread?

I went to a vet carrying in my 12 week old (30 lb !) puppy, and the table
wasn't even cleaned off.  I was afraid of Parvo., the vet thought I was
over protective and silly when I insisted the table be cleaned.  As for
the handwashing, I see many reports in the medical field about the lack of
handwashing.  I am in that field, and admittedly have slacked a little at
times.  I am much more conscientious now, but do many times wash my hands
before I call in the next patient.  I started to wash in front of them
instead, so they can see I do wash.  I believe the Killians weren't calling
anyone a liar, of course there are vets/doctors that don't wash every time
they see a patient, but there are many more that do and just not in front
of you.  Please bring this up to the person in question, it is important
to wash every time.

To the person who didn't like Sandee's posts.  Well they aren't for
everyone.  I do believe it is easy to scroll past them.  In her defense,
it is hard to loose a loved one, and she provides some comfort for those
who ask her to do so.  I notice many people ask her, so just scroll past.

Sorry so long,
Patty