From:
Kristin M Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 13:39:29 -0500
Hi - I am responding to Jeffery's question about wood cages and mesh.  I
built a cage for my two ferrets about three years ago.  It is built out of
3/16" plywood and has a hinged roof that we use to clean the cage and to
get the ferrets.  The front of it is mostly mesh (hard ware cloth).  We
just took the plywood cut it to the right size for the front of the cage
and cut out most of the inside so it basically is a frame.  Then we staple
gunned the mesh to the outside of the cage.  I don't think you need to
worry about the ferret gnawing the wood - we've never had any problems.  I
would suggest putting the mesh outside so that if there are any sharp
edges (do your best to get rid of them) remaining the ferrets won't be
exposed to them.  Make one of the sides hinged or cut a door into a side
panel to allow the ferrets access to the cage without having to climb up
the mesh to get out.  I would just use the lid for cleaning.  The reason
why I say this is that we had a six year old ferret that died when the lid
of a cage (made of 3/4" wood) fell.  She was climbing up the mesh to get
out and the cage lid slipped from my hand.  It struck her on the head and
she died instantly.  For this reason - I suggest using the side panel or
door for regular access to the ferrets or work out some sort of locking
device on the lid to ensure it won't fall.
    We varnished the cage several times.  It makes for easy cleaning.  I
would suggest using non-toxic varnish or else put a carpet scrap on the
floor underneath the water bottle so that any dripping water won't be
licked off the varnished surface.  We put a litter pan in one corner.  We
use the rubber maid drawer organizers as litter pans.  After a long battle
with one ferret who really didn't want the litter pan in the corner we
velcroed the pan down.  That has worked really well.
    And by the way - use hardware cloth for the front - not nylon mesh.
One of our ferrets scratched her way through that.
    Hope this all helps.  Happy cage building!

Kristin