From:
Diane Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:36:46 -0500
Hi Wolfy and Everyone,

(versus the imprinted on chicken based kibble).

I was first introduced to the turkey based kibble when Houdini entered my
life.  What was initially thought to be severe ECE, IBD or a blockage
ended up being a severe food allergy.

It took a while to determine what he was allergic to and it ends up being
chicken.  After many attempts to coax him to eat, he started stealing
pieces of the Totally Ferret Turkey food.

At least he was eating on a regular basis, but continued to exhibit
allergy symptoms which included: severe itching, hives covering his head,
around his eyes and mouth, thin fur coat, yucky poops and sometimes he
would vomit.  Although we were having some success with the Totally
Ferret Turkey food, it still contained chicken and is only sold in
smaller, very expensive bags.  The Proplan Turkey and Barley is sold in
larger sizes and much less expensive.

A wise ferret mom (Donna Connor!) also had a ferret with chicken food
allergies and gave me some of the ProPlan Turkey and Barley (cat food) to
try.  I was hesitant to change his food an upset the little progress that
we made but we gave it a shot and he LOVES it.  Needless to say once one
ferret looks like they are getting something special, the others all
started stealing his food to the point where all my other ferrets prefer
the ProPlan Turkey & Barley as well, now that is all that I buy.  Even my
cat whom the ferrets torment and love comes into the ferret room to eat
the ProPlan.  As well sometimes a coupon is enclosed and if the local
pet store is having a sale, I stock up and I buy the bigger size.  The
containers come in handy for other uses as well as being an interesting
ferret toy once emptied.  The ingredients are mostly meat based; the
protein level is great although the fat content is slightly less than
perfect.  For some reason the barley is more soothing to the GI tract
than the turkey & rice type.  Houdini continues to thrive to this day
and almost never has any hives (unless he sneaks into a visitor's cage
and eats another food).

As far as giving it to older ferrets, I have two that are over nine years
old and they eat it every day.  I also use it to make the duck soup gravy
by using a coffee bean grinder (as it doesn't really dissolve in warm
water the way say Marshall's does).  I add a little AD Feline and they
line up in anticipation, practically drooling while it warms up.

I would recommend adding it in their usual food a little at a time or
try giving it as a treat at first so they think it's something special.

All the best to you!

Diane Wall
South Shore Ferret Lady & Massachusetts Ferret Friends Member