Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:42:07 -0500
At this time of year we expect those folks submitting ferrets in need to
be forthright and honest.  Placing ferrets on the wonderful "Ferret
Giving Tree" enabling the community folks to send a special gift was in
my understanding for ferrets who are confined to a shelter - have special
problems maybe old age, illness and who won't most likely leave the
shelter.  A way to make both the days brighter for the ferrets who
receive the gifts , and those who provide the healthcare and necessary
love... at least that is what "I thought"!!  I could be wrong folks!

It appears however, there are some personal ferrets listed to a New
England shelter which closed it's doors this past Spring claiming it was
too much of a burden to do paperwork and fund raise.  This shelterer
supposedly took in several pets on a vacation trip to FL.  Now they are
listed on the Ferret Giving Tree as shelter residents at this newly
opened?  unknown ferret shelter.

With the current trend for collecting and hoarding ferrets -- I think it
is disheartening to find a former shelterer who is willing to take
advantage of the generosity of others in this way.

Perhaps a shelter license has been applied for -- but I have received no
confirmation from her as to the validity of this -- but then the question
comes to mind - If you travel to FL and take in ferrets - why list them
several months later as shelter residents?

Anyway, I hate to be the Grinch -- but these kind of acts have the
potential to destroy a wonderful giving project which has made a huge
difference to hard working shelters and their ferret residents over the
years.  I just wanted to give a heads up to those folks who have spent
hard earned dollars - in the future you might want to verify the validity
of the shelter ( license number etc.,) before you commit -- as it seems
some folks can be deceptive.

Hoping all the Holidays are HappY!

ALicia D.

[Moderator's note: That's a rather serious accusation and I imagine it's
difficult to make much of it without knowing any details.  I'm not sure
what the point of it is, at this stage?  BIG]