From:
Melissa Rotert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:06:31 -0700
Hi folks,

It's me, Melissa, who hasn't been known as "Melissa from Lost Ferrets"
in several years now.  The website is still there, but hasn't really
been functional beyond providing general info since my daughter was born,
because I was having a LOT of trouble keeping up.

http://www.geocities.com/lostferrets

Well, I've decided that needs to change.  I want to get Lost Ferrets up
and running again, with an active database of lost ferrets, an updated
Network of people across the country willing to lend a hand if a fuzzy
goes missing in their area, articles on what to do and a customizable,
printable Lost Ferret flyer.  And I need all your help to do it!

First, there are only three articles on What to Do.  Pam Troutman, Randy
Horton and Troy Lynn Eckert provided me with some really wonderful stuff
way back when I first got Lost Ferrets up and running.  But I want more!
AND I want good articles on how to ferret proof your home so the fuzzies
can't GET out!

Next, I'm going to completely rebuild the Network.  This is a state by
state listing of ferret shelters, individuals and clubs who have offered
to be a contact in their area if a fuzzy goes missing.  They can provide
a watchful eye, additional contacts, advice, support and even legwork,
or all of those things, or only one.  I'm scrubbing the network as it
stands, because it is hopelessly out of date.  All contacts in the
current network will be sent an email asking if they still wish to
participate.  If I don't get a response within a week, if the email
bounces, or if I am asked to remove them, they will be taken off the
lists.  I am guessing this will pare the network down QUITE a bit.  So,
I need everyone to consider whether they can volunteer to be added to
the network.  Some of you already ARE the first person people call if
their fuzzy escapes.  Or, you may just be interested in helping someone
put up flyers.  Either way, I'll want your name.  But not quite yet...

While I do this, I'm going to be moving the site to a subdomain of my
website.  I've created an email for it, as well, and I'll ask everyone to
wait about a week for that email to be set up before sending articles or
Network submissions.  That email is [log in to unmask]  Anything
else (general inquiries or other questions, etc.) can be directed to my
[log in to unmask] email address, and you don't have to wait if you don't
want to. :-)

Additionally, I'm going to be adding a PHP script that allows people to
fill in a form and returns a printable Lost Ferret flyer.  This way,
people who may be under emotional stress don't have to think about what
information to include, and the chance that something important be
forgotten is removed.  Just in case anyone might already have a script
written that I could change to suit my own needs, I'd be grateful to
you.  I've played around with this idea for several years, and haven't
implimented it yet because I'm having issues with the script.  I know it
isn't that hard, because I've done something similar before with PHP, but
it's just escaping me.  (Well, that and I'm not sure geocities supports
PHP anymore.  They used to.  That won't be an issue once I move the
site.)

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how to make the Ad Placement more
automated, please send them my way.  I'm not 100% sure whether I want to
completely automate the ad placement, because I have had some people try
to post some really screwed up things, but if I were able to impliment a
system similar to a guest book, where the info was put into a form, and
the database automatically formatted it as an ad, but gave me a chance
to OK it before putting it online.... Oh I'm dreaming now!  That type
of scripting is WELL beyond my capabilities, but it would be ideal.  Ad
Placement was one of the major reasons I had trouble keeping up, because
I had to review each ad, format it and put it on line all by hand.

So, there it is.  If you can help, please do.

Melissa Rotert and Samurai