From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:43:10 -0400
Here is the dental info which Jules mentioned.  It is from _Biology and
Diseases of the Ferret_.  Note that this means that having the adult
canines in place is a great way to tell 8 weeks of age if the USDA
proposed change in age of sale and transport goes through.  See the IFC
(International Ferret Congress) URL below my name in places currently
working my brain for the project headed by Dr. Sandra Kudrak and a vet
team with which she is working.

Upper:

50 days (just over 7 weeks): Canine -- the conical shaped tooth

Molar 1 -- 53 days (7 and 1/2 weeks): the tooth at the back which has a
bit of flatness to it

Premolars 2-4 -- 60 days (8 and 1/2 weeks): the slicing teeth at the
sides of the mouth

Lower:

Canine and Molar 1 -- 50 days (just over 7 weeks)

Premolar 2: 60 days (8 and 1/2 weeks)

Premolar 3: 67 days (9 and 1/2 weeks)

Premolar 4 and Molar 2: 74 days (10 and 1/2 weeks)

Note that body size can be decreased by having trouble getting enough
food so it is not a reliable indicator of age.

Eyes open usually in about the fourth week but that can vary by about a
week according to what some breeders have noted in the past.

Anemia: I know there is a different name for that form of anemia and for
some reason my mind is blocking on it.  Ask your vet for other terms for
the type and then check for that in posts in http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org

In the "from box" check these 4 sources out (Again going from memory for
folks I recall tackling this.)

williams
AFERRETVET
maybe also
drkaren
ferrethealer

In the FML Archives:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind9907&L=ferret-search&P=R41264

--Sukie

Some current useful URLs keeping my brain chugging (personal brain
update -- yep, still have one):
[Moderator's note: Some of these don't seem to be ferret-related and a
couple may advocate a political position.  Others are just neat.  BIG]

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/10/
08/MNG9995P9D1.DTL
http://tingilinde.typepad.com/starstuff/2004/10/buying_wood_fro.html
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/