From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:48:00 -0500
>In my experience, pain meds are not usually given.  Our pets either
>seem to experience less pain than we do, or they're at least very good
>at hiding their pain.

My vet is a huge believer in pain meds with surgeries.  He was using
Torb with ferrets but has now switched to Metacam (doesn't make them
as groggy).  I start Metacam the day prior to surgery and give it for
3 days following surgery.  He also has used Rimadyl.

I believe that they are in pain but hide it well.  After all, they have
been cut open and had their insides moved around and cut on.  I would
prefer that they stay a little bit sedated, and free from pain, for a
few days following surgery.

Katharine