From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 05:33:47 -0600
Q: "Could you post the best books for the ferret owner?  I want to get them
    for my vet..."

A: Kinda like when Ensign Pulver cut into Burl Ives and left the marbles
   behind?  You know, doing surgery reading a book?

I really can't answer that for anyone but myself because I would have to
know what was on their bookshelf or in their brain.  So I will answer it for
myself; that is, which books I find personally most valuable.  Not in any
particular order, here are Bob's Top Ten*:

1) James W. Carpenter, etal. 1996 "Exotic Animal Formulary."  Greystone
Publications, Manhattan, Kansas.  [GOOD: lists just about every drug and
proper dosage for ferrets, including some important comments.  Also includes
blood/serum/urine values, endocrine disease symptoms, references.
BAD: Includes lots of stuff on fish, herps, and other mammals you don't
really need UNLESS you are a vet.]

2) James G.  Fox.  1988 "Biology and Diseases of the Ferret."  Lea and
Febiger; Philadelpia.  [GOOD: Very comprehensive and broad.  An oldie but a
goodie with nice sections on ferret history and anatomy.  BAD: Out of date
and I believe out of print.  A revised edition should be released soon.]

3) Elizabeth V. Hillyer and Katherine E. Quesenberry.  1997
"Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery."  W. B.
Saunders CO.; Philadelphia.  [GOOD: Comprehensive and Complete, and
up-to-date.  BAD: Rabbits and Rodents.]

4) Chris C.  Pinney.  1992 "The Illustrated Veterinary Guide for Cats,
Birds, and Exotic Pets." McGraw Hill; New York.  [GOOD: Outstanding
all-around vet-guide, most of which can be used with ferrets.  Very nice
"identification-key" approach to diagnoses.  BAD: Is-It-A-Weasel-Or
-A-Mongoose? illustrations of ferrets.  Could be an Egyptian heiroglyph.
Needs more stuff specifically on ferrets.]

5) Geoffrey West.  1992 "Black's Veterinary Dictionary." B&N Import; New
York.  [GOOD: Outstanding dictionary; as good as Dorland's, Taber's or
Stedman's Medical dictionaries.  BAD: Costs about $100.]

6) D. C. Blood and Virginia P. Studdert.  1988 "Bailliere's Comprehensive
Veterinary Dictionary." Bailliere Tindall; London.  [GOOD: Almost as good as
Black's, I like the appendices a little better, lots cheaper (about $40) so
it is the best value for the buck.  BAD: Some definitions are tautological;
Word A: see Word B.  Word B: see Word C.  Word C: see Word A.  I hate
getting led in circles.  I hate getting led in circles.  I hate getting led
in circles.]

7) Susan A.  Brown and Karen L.  Rosenthal.  1997 "Self-Assessment Color
Review of Small Mammals."  Iowa State University Press; Ames, Iowa.  [GOOD:
Outstanding illustrations, teaches in a testing atmosphere.  BAD: Needs to
three times larger and only on ferrets.  Also, the book is physically small;
its hard to see the picture detail.]

8) David Klingener.  1979 "Laboratory anatomy of the mink." W. C. Brown;
Dubuque, Iowa.  [GOOD: You want basic anatomy and organ systems, this has
it.  BAD: Its about the mink, but that's ok, just type out lots of
itty-bitty "ferrets" and paste them over the word "mink." At this basic
level, there is very little difference.]

9) American Ferret Association.  1996/97 "The Eighth/Ninth Small Mammals
Veterinary Conference." American Ferret Association, Inc.; Frederick, MD.
[GOOD: Nice stuff with lots of up-to-date info.  BAD: Adapted from papers,
and not enough ferret stuff.]

10) David Pass, etal.  1993 "Veterinary Care of Birds, Rodents, Rabbits,
Ferrets and Guinea Pigs." Publication No.2/93, Murdoch University Foundation
for Continuing Veterinary Education.  [GOOD: Nice style, compares USA to
Australia.  BAD: Just a drop in the bucket of stuff to know.  I wanna know
more about the Australian bloodlines, which Pass indicates was isolated
since 1904-07.]

BONUS:  Edward Lytton Wheeler. 1886 "Tony Fox, the ferret, or, Boss Bob's
boss job." Deadwood Dick library ; v. 3, no. 33, M. J. Ivers; New York.
[GOOD: Catchy title; just like it. BAD: Just try to find a copy.]

Bob C and 20 MO Bibliohounds.

* These are not actually my personal top ten, but then "Ecological
Methodology," "Nutritional Biochemistry," "Evolutionary Biology," "Hyman's
Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy" and the like are probably not ferret-related
enough.  Too bad.