From:
Joan Vick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 20:07:23 EST
Hi, It has taken me awhile to write this, but as of October 8th, 2005
I no longer have a Fuzzy in my life.  28 years and 21(or so)ferrets
later...it's weird.

I finally made the discussion to let Teddy go.  He had the usual
problems, Adrenal tumor and Insulinoma.  And he could no longer control
his back-end.  I was cleaning him and his bedding every morning.  He was
a rescue in 1998, dumped in a pet store, unwanted because he smelled!!
Well, he had come from a breeder originally..he had never been neutered
or descented.  He was a big boy too.  And he was a poofer!!  Poofed when
he was happy, poofed when he was mad, poofed for the heck of it!  There
is alot I could say about him...how mean he was to Louie to his obsession
with Beanie Babies.

I guess what I'm questioning is..do I get another one or two?  The things
you put up with, pooping in kitchen drawers, under you bed, anywhere but
a litter box.  The things they do that stop your heart...Frosty who fell
thru the ash trap in the fireplace, 4 foot below, and lived to tell about
it.  Just got all sooty!

The time when at least 3, had an adventure in the duct work...a room that
was getting a new floor, had the vents off, a room we thought was tightly
closed off to ferrets...there was Annie, looking at me thru the vent in
the Familyroom...on the wrong!  side!!!

Ashley...who learned how to open the back screen door, then after it was
locked tore a hole in the screen.  She was originally found wandering in
someone's back yard.  That's how she came to me...I swear all my ferrets
have had Guardian Angel's.

And the things that melt your Heart...Sara who liked to steal slippers,
right off of your feet.  Patches who drug cat litter containers around
the house, bigger than her.  Frosty, who stole any rug that wasn't tacked
down.  Many times bigger than him!!

I could go on and on.  It's just that I'm so tired of them getting SOOO
sick.  The Adrenal tumor's, the insulinoma, the other weird cancer's
they get, ect, ect.  You don't sleep much, listening for every sound they
make, every cough, are they having a seizure?  Every crunch of food, oh
good, so'n'so is eating good tonight!  You can't go anywhere, because who
can you trust to give them their Soup and med.'s?  And cleanup all those
missed poop's??

Do I buy one from a breeder?  A healthy one with foreign bloodlines?
Feed them correctly from the beginning?  Do I rescue an unwanted Fuzzy?
Do I just sponsor or baby-sit a few?  I know there is plenty of them out
there.  I couldn't decide what to do...until I saw a picture in the new
Jan./Feb.  Ferrets magazine...page 65.  The ferret in the Ferret Tassel
Hat.  The ad for the Ferret Depot.com.  I about fell off my chair
laughing...that is THE cutest thing I ever saw.  Like that ferret is
going to keep THAT hat on!!!  :) That made me decide I still do need a
ferret in my life.  When/ who it will be I don't know.  But I'm sure it
won't be long...:)

Joan Vick...and a few Fuzzy Kid's waiting for me at the Bridge
Louise -1977-1980, Rigby-1980-81, Sadie-1980-91, Samantha 1980-?,
Sally G-1983-87, Cecilia-1983-?, Gizmo-1984-94,
Sushi- belonged to my local Zoo died of a tumor at my home,
Maggie-1994-2002, Patches-1994-2001, Annie-1995-2004,
Cherokee-1996-2000, Sara-1996-2004, Kes-1997-2004, Buddy-1997?-1998,
Teddy-1998-2005, Louie-1998-2003, Frosty-1998-2004, Sunny-1997-1998,
Susie (given to a friend because Sara hated her)-1997-2002,
Ashley-2002-2004.