From:
"R. Worthing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:09:19 -0500
>From:    Joe <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: CA:  Los Angeles Times article
>The following article appeared in yesterday's LA Times, page 3 of section
>A: http://www.latimes.com/news/state/20000221/t000016845.html
>The article is focused on Pat Wright, serving jail time on charges related
>to possession of a ferret,

 ... and that he allegedly wielded a knife at officers.  I am not trying
to incite any anger or hostility here but as much as I support ferret
legalization in CA, I cannot/will not support the measures that Pat Wright
allegedly took.  I, personally, do NOT want to be viewed as a fanatic
ferret owner that will take up arms in the face of being caught breaking
the law.  IMHO, there is no excuse for having a knife in hand in such a
situation.  Unfortunately, I think that his actions cast a bad light on
other ferret owners... that we are as compulsive and foolhardy as the
little furballs we love.  What a shame.  His demonstration was not
constructive or conducive to the ferret community.

When one willingly and knowingly breaks the law, what gives that person the
right to grab a knife in their defense (or that of their animals)?

Renee