From:
Janne' Ronald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:18:21 CDT
I have been following the thread about "Modern Ferret" magazine, and was
alarmed by a post from Bob Church, 8/28/99.  It was seething with hatred
that was directed at so many people that it reminded me of vigilantism.
It's like this person wants to incite people to riot.  First, he goes after
people who don't like "Modern Ferret" issue #24.  Then he goes after people
who support any Fancy Publication magazines.  My rebuttal follows.

>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bob C: Research Trip; Modern Ferret
>This is exactly what Fancy Publications has wanted.  They use, and I have
>researched this on my own, discussing the problem with non-Modern Ferret
>people who have seen the unfair business practices of this organization.

This statement is hearsay.  I would like to see your "research."

>Fancy publications have driven almost every competitor off the market,
>from Pet Dealer, to dog and cat publications, to the recently lost reptile
>and amphibian magazine.  They have made an effort to creat a pet-magazine
>monopoly.

More hearsay.  Prove it.  Where are your facts?  Even if you could prove it
(which you haven't yet), last time I looked, free enterprise is not illegal
and competition of this nature is quite an American phenomena.

"Modern Ferret" (Crunchy Concepts) is a business that "knowingly" took a
risk to publish some controversial pictures.  If Fancy Publications takes
advantage of a backlash to a problem that MF created, then MF has to take
responsibility for their actions.

>The loss of revenue because of a few loud mouth humor-challenged people
>forcing PetCo to remove Modern Ferret from their shelves is possibly
>enough to force Mary and Eric out of publishing.

Sounds like you've already bought a burial plot for "Modern Ferret."

The rest is conjecture.  I'd like to know how a store that has 485
locations in 38 states, with revenues of $839.6 M last year, could be
"forced" by a few people to do something.  Do you even know if Petco made
an executive decision independent of any outside influence?  Maybe the
bigwigs thought it wasn't prudent to sell this issue.  Besides, anyone who
wants more information can contact Petco's corporate headquarters.

By the way, in case anyone has decided not to like Petco right now, you
might find it interesting to know that they were the official sponsors of
a L.I.F.E. sanctioned show in Columbia, Ohio (Ferret Extravaganza '99)
today, 8/28/99.  Hardly the actions of a business that supports
loud-mouthed ferret owners.

>I also will no longer be willing to help ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE, who
>actively supports Fancy Publications --

By this statement, you are singling out a VERY large number of people.
For anyone who cares to see all the people who have requested that their
web site be linked to Fancy Publications website, go to:
http://www.animalnetwork.com/usadefault.asp

Please note that "Critters on the Web" (as it's called) requires that
person(s) must "request" that their site be linked.  After Fancy
Publications reviews and approves the request, the link is made.  Anyone
who would like to add their link to this site can submit an e-mail request
to [log in to unmask]

Anyone who wishes to see all the ferret clubs and groups that have also
requested that their sites be linked to Fancy Publications can check out
this web site.  http://www.animalnetwork.com/critters/clubs/ferrets.asp

Flip through the "Ferret USA 1999 Annual" and see the list of people who
support Fancy Publications.  It's pretty extensive.  Pick up "Ferrets,"
another Fancy publication, and check out the ferret people who support it.

Advertisers are the main support of any magazine (in this case, it includes
a long list of shelters, breeders, ferret groups, and manufacturers who are
listed).  See for yourself WHO is supporting a Fancy Publications magazine
-- that supposedly uses "unfair business practices."  You will see all the
people that Bob Church is ashamed of.

>If we lose Modern Ferret, do you honestly believe Fancy will continue
>paying you writers such large amounts of money per issue?  Do you
>businesses think Fancy will continue to undercut Modern Ferret ad--or
>subscription --rates?  Do you honestly think the quality of Ferrets will
>be maintained?  Pick up their other magazines and read them.  That is
>what you will get.

In this statement, YOU are attacking the intelligence of writers,
advertisers, and subscribers who contribute to Fancy Publications, and
making even more negative assumptions and predictions.  I don't know about
their ad rates, but "Ferrets" subscription rate is $19.95/year, the same as
"Modern Ferret."

I think people should see these publications that YOU are bashing (weren't
you just crucifying other people for bashing "Modern Ferret?").  For anyone
who is curious, read some articles in either "Ferrets USA" or "Ferrets"
from some well-known, respected writers and members of the ferret
community.

>My God, people, you have the right to not like something, but harming
>fellow ferret lovers is an act of hate.  That is despicable and shameful.
>You are what you do.

So tell me and everyone else, Mr. Church, what are YOU doing?  It sure
looks like YOU are busy harming "fellow ferret lovers" with your insults
and name-calling.  Very hypocritical.

For anyone who's interested, check out "Ferrets USA 1999 Annual," a Fancy
Publication, and out who has an advertisement on page 51.  You will see a
very large "Modern Ferret" advertisement!!  I'm reminded of the movie
title, "Sleeping with the Enemy."

--- Janne' and the Poop Brigade