From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:43:33 +0400
On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Michelle Matta wrote to the FML:

>Our Little Man has been digging at the couch.  He successfully dug a hole
>right through the cushion that lets him into the couch.  We've doctored it
>up, but the little bugger is OBSESSED ever since he got in.  Every time we
>let him out of his room, he b-lines over to the couch and begins digging.

Try:

1. Moving either the ferret or the couch to another room.

2. Getting one of those plastic slipcovers for the couch that everyone
   jokes about.

2a. (Must have plastic slipcover for this:) Putting a big gob of Vaseline
    at the spot where he digs--if he's like my ferret, he will find this
    very disgusting but, ultimately, tasty.  Be sure to remove the Vaseline
    after the "training session," unless you think it would be a fun joke
    on your guests.

3. Finding some nicely patterned flat sheets and an electric staplegun on
   sale, make your own "slipcover," and spritz the "new" couch with diluted
   vanilla extract or lemon juice to make it smell differently.

4. Getting a kiddy wading pool or some other large plastic container, and a
   new bag of potting soil (without vermiculite).  Be sure to put down a
   tarp or plastic bags before filling the container with the soil and
   adding the ferret.

Good luck,
-- Lee, one of the Massachusetts Ferret Friends