From:
"Kramer, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 1994 09:19:00 EST
Perhaps the only discouraging thing about being a fuzzy-lover is the high
incidence of health problems that seem to be prevalent among ferrets.  I
understand the problem probably lies in the breeding stock that has been
used in North America, which apparently all traces back to a small gene
pool.  This prompts three questions I would appreciate having answered:

1. Are there any breeders actively trying to raise more disease-resistant
ferrets by introducing imported animals into the mix?

2. Does anyone have an idea what percentage of ferrets eventually do get
sick enough to require surgery?

3. Can anyone recommend any animal health insurance providers for ferrets?
 I've seen pamphlets for cats and dogs at the vet, and would like to get a
plan for my kit.

James, Susan and Frettchen (the hyperferret).