From:
"Reid, Dona" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 19:06:03 -0700
I just read your post of several days ago about the choking ferret.  < I
finally got back on line !  > Something similar happened to me last week.  I
was watching my Suzi-Q eat her dry food and all of a sudden she started
making these gagging sounds.  I tried patting her on the back to no avail.
Then I pried open her mouth.  A piece of food was stuck to the roof of her
mouth!  I flicked my finger at it and dislodged it.  Poor thing immediately
started drinking water.

I'm not a Vet , but I used to be a Vet"s assistant.  I have never heard of
the "Hind Lick" :) maneuver working on an animal.  I think that there was
just not enough saliva in SuziQ"s mouth to handle the food.  She was really
shoveling it in at the time.  Anyhow she is OK now and I hope it doesn't
happen when I'm not around.

I'm having trouble getting "Totally Ferret" in my area.  If anyone out there
knows where to order it , please E-Mail me.  I'm trying to wean my ferts
from the IMS because of the toxin, but they won't eat anything else!  I
would like to try the Totally Ferret food or any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Dona Reid
Suzi-Q (I'll eat slower now,)
Mickey (This never happens to me)
Cosmo (I'm only 6 weeks old and can't talk yet!)