From:
The Langdons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:31:59 +0100
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Ferret Shelters
>
>I'd like to point out that if you are adopting unaltered ferrets from a
>shelter, they aren't a shelter, they are a breeder, and you aren't adopting
>a shelter ferret, you are purchasing a kit.  Ethical shelters will not
>adopt out an intact ferret, even if they were not the breeder of this
>animal.

I adopted my ferrets from a shelter here in the UK, they hadn't been
neutered, but I still see that as adopting *not* purchasing a kit.

When I got them they were only 4-5 months old, which in my opinion (and
that is the same for most 'Brits') consider it too young to be 'done'.  I
was told that I was adopting them on the understanding that they would be
neutered when old enough and was asked to inform them when this was done.

Your statement that "Ethical shelters will not adopt out an intact ferret"
may be true in the US but it is not universal.  The shelter I got my boys
from will not adopt out an intact adult.  I am fully in agreement with
*all* pets (be they, ferrets or any other kind) being neutered, and the
shelter has a very definate policy that kits adopted from it are neutered
as soon as they are old enough (they recommend 6-9 months).