From:
Gabrielle Lastname <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:52:41 -0500
I just wanted to let Bob Church know that his enrichment series has
really made a difference in how I treat my ferrets.  Even though they
were free roam before, with tons of toys, tubes, and towel rides, after
reading the series, I felt I could do a better job.  Although I don't
have a lot of time to build things right now (but we have plans for a
giant dirt box!  who needs a coffee table??) , I have started taking my
ferrets out for walks and finding places for them to dig in (clean) dirt.

Brenna really seems to be less than impressed by it -- she lies on her
back in the harness and tries to get back in the house, scratching on the
door.  This may be because she was a taken as a young ferret from a bad
place where her cage was kept was fairly exposed to the elements and she
was isolated to a certain extent, so she is somewhat apprehensive of a
lot of things, in particular of being outdoors.  But after a while she
seems to enjoy herself, and I always bring a solid-sided bag for her to
crawl into in case she gets bored, tired, or scared.  My thought is that
it is (1) stimulating for her to go out, and (2) that it might help her
to get over her fears and eventually help her feel more secure overall
(takes years, but it does get better, I think).  She most enjoys being
able to tunnel through long grass in a, well, weasel-like fashion.  That
and trying to climb parked cars....

The one who has really taken to it is Spring.  Spring *runs*!!!  She
digs, enthusiastically, at every opportunity.  She bounds through the
grass like a bunny, at full tilt, for half a block!  She investigates all
the basement-level windows of the adjoining apartments, and tries to play
with dogs (we pick her up in case they are not friendly).  We took them
out after dark last night (made sure her harness was very secure) and
both of them seemed to really enjoy it quite a bit more than usual.  She
never wants to go back in, but once there, she darts and dashes and
sproings up in the air like she's in fast-forward mode.  Anyway, she
really seems to enjoy it, and she seems more lively even the next day.

I tried taking them out a few times before, but they really didn't seem
to like it a whole lot, but Bob's series made me want to try it again,
and I am very happy that they have gotten so much out of it.  Thanks,
Bob!  You have made a difference in the lives of at least two ferrets,
and many more, I'm sure.

Best to all,
Melissa I.