From:
Jage Kelmli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 08:16:56 -0700
I've been thinking about a recent post that said an animal expert thought
animals don't crave foods like people do.  That is, they don't think it's
boring to eat the same thing every day, they don't crave the taste of
treats.  I beg to differ.  They wouldn't be so crazy about treats if it
didn't make a difference to them.  I've had my cats tip over the dish to get
to the particular flavor they want.  Eris, my fuzzie, will practically drool
when he sees me pick up the bottle of Linatone.  He licks his lips over and
over and practically quivers with excitement.  I've seen human children have
the same reaction over birthday cakes.  My cats were offered a pounce treat
when they would scratch the scratching post instead of the couch.  Soon,
they learned to run over, scratch the post, and look at me for their treat.
It became a way they asked for something they obviously wanted.  And I can
conceive of no reason other than craving for anyone to ask for a particular
treat.  Eris knows the sound of bags opening, and always runs over to see if
he wants any.  The cats know which cupboard their canned food is in, and
they are sure to rub my legs, begging for some, when I open it.  Who hasn't
had a cat run from the nether reaches of a house when they hear a can
opener?  Or a ferret go crazy at the cues from a bag of raisens?  I know
science warns against anthropomorphizing (sp?), but the reality is that we
are all animals, and some things do correlate.  I can see from my own
experience evidence that my pets can and do enjoy the taste of foods, and
that they crave some variety.  That doesn't mean that I don't make sure the
vast majority of their food is healthy, but I don't deny them occasional
treats.  I don't believe the author of the previous piece deprives her
babies, either.  Just that she has chosen healthy snacks for those she
loves.  I just wanted to add my view point on how much we are like our pets
in this instance.

jage