Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 22:29:54 EST
A number of you have asked what Sunny does that is so irksome to a large
cat.  It is not that you don't believe it is possible for a ferret to be
a trouble maker, but rather that you all have your own fascinating
experiences between species.

One of the irritating things that Sunny does, is that he gets a bee in his
bonnet, and decides to stalk Cat like a lioness would.  He will stealthily
hide behind blankets, or boxes, or toys, and tense his entire body low to
the ground.  He will pause in this stealthy position for some time-minutes
tick away with him frozen in position, getting closer and closer to Cat.
I have no idea if Cat knows.

Once he gets around the body area, his nose is low to the ground, his
stubby legs invisible under his tensed, ready to spring body.  He will
either get directly under the cats head and bite the chest or tummy so the
cat leaps yowling in pain into the air--at which point Sunny chases the
poor giant cat.  Or the cat gives ground, retreating from his enjoyable
snooze in a spot of sun.

Cat could crunch Sunnys' little bulldog head with his mouth and razor
teeth.  I mean, Sunny is directly in front of him pushing his head into the
cats body.  It is truly a tribute to the cat that he gives up his comfort
for this trouble making bully.

I have seen Cat whap a ferret with claws retracted so hard the ferret flew
in the air.  That was one of his first interactions.  I did not yell, or
say no.  The cat has every right to defend himself without using claws or
teeth.  Without my interference, the cat has learned to tap ferrets on the
head like a basketball, to gently whack, and to give warning growls.  That
is really something for a full grown feral cat that I captured at 6 years
of age.

In retribution for being treated so shabbily, the cat will occasionally
wait for the ferrets to come out of their cages.  He blocks their exit
from the room, and makes sure the ferrets know that he-Mr. Cat-is powerful.
They have to skirt around him, and he does some head tapping.  Or he just
waits for one of them to make a move so he can whap one or two.

What ya gonna do?  I am surrounded by a number of macho males.

Lisette