From:
Eleanor Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:31:10 -0400
I decided to not only write to Ebay customer support (whose email address
is as follows for those who do not have it: [log in to unmask] should
another problem arise with anything) but chose to write to the seller
especially seeing the answer to a question posted on the auction listing.
I asked him/her to kindly consider taking the ferret pelt off auction and
explained a little about ferrets and how they are indeed domesticated and
that they were sold in pet shops and seeing a ferret pelt on Ebay for
some of us was the same as seeing a pet cat or dog pelt on ebay.  We sent
emails back and forth and the seller was very nice about.  I am sure the
seller may have had many questions about the ferret pelt but I decided
instead of getting angry to try education first.  My last reply to the
seller was as follows because he/she said they would consider it and end
it if not sold before tonight :

Thank you so much for considering this, I truly appreciate it as well as
others I'm sure will.  Domestic ferrets have been domesticated for over
two thousand years.  They were primarily used to hunt rabbits and keep
rodents out of barns in the early days.  Most pet store ferrets are so
domesticated that they have lost a lot of their natural instincts.  If a
domestic ferret accidentally gets out of the house, it will usually die
within a few days from dehydration and starvation or it will become prey
to wild animals.

Also a lot of people do not keep their ferrets caged.  I keep mine caged
only at night time.  Some let them free roam in their homes but make
sure the house or apartment is ferret - proofed first, so they cannot get
into anything or escape or have a "ferret room" as I do, just designated
for the ferrets.  They are the most wonderful pets I have ever owned.  I
own cats, dogs, a horse and pet beef cows.  My ferrets are the most fun,
interactive and the most expensive medically believe it or not.  They
also come by name and use kitty pans like a cat!  and also walk on a
leash!  Most ferret owners spend over a thousand dollars per ferret in
just one ferret's lifetime medically, between shots (distemper, rabies
and other problems that pop up!  )

Again, thank you so much for you consideration and kindness!
Eleanor and the 9 very happy, contented domesticated ferrets

The Seller just sent me an email telling me I was WELCOME!! and "I JUST
ENDED IT"

Kindness works and now hopefully this seller will remain educated about
ferrets.  THANK YOU EVERYONE for sending email to Ebay and to the seller
to help pursay his/her mind.

My sincere condolences to those who have lost ferrets recently or in the
past.  My heart is with you and goes out to each and every one of you.

Eleanor, Donald and the 9 fuzzies, missing Sarah and Cooper J