From:
Donna Micari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:58:27 -0400
About a week ago I posted on the FML about my tiny five-week-old baby, who
is now named Gillian.

She is doing great!  Her adult teeth have started to come in and she gained
a lot of weight.  She is great friends with my other two ferrets, Jethro
and EllieMae, and she even did a little war dance last night!  Whenever I
look at their sleep sack and see three little faces dozing contentedly, I
am grateful that I rescued her from the store where she might have starved
to death.

I do have some diet concerns:
I have always attempted to give my other two ferrets real meat, but it
seems like they don't know they're carnivores.  They will steal a lollipop
right out of your mouth, but turn their noses up at a steak.  But the baby
loves any kind of meat.  And, like you said, she will growl at it when she
eats it.  It's very funny to watch a tiny little ferret trying to drag off
a chicken leg that's bigger than her, growling all the while!

My new baby loves shrimp - is this okay for her to eat?  We went over a
friend's house for dinner the night after we got her, and didn't want to
leave her alone with the others just yet.  Well, our friend served shrimp
cocktail as an appetizer, and when we held a shrimp in front of her (no
sauce) she growled and chirped at it, and then went for the kill!  The
shrimp didn't have a chance against my little girl!  Our friend wanted to
give us a Ferret-Bag of shrimp to take home, but I wasn't sure if all that
fish was good for her.  Is it?

Second, I wanted to try feeding my ferrets mice, but my boyfriend is
concerned about parasites or other diseases the mice may have.  Is this a
concern?

Thanks,
Donna,
Jethro (Just let me sleep!),