From:
Carolyn McColl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 16:41:53 -0400
Sterling Killian <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Right now I am using a ferret food made by Mazuri which is apparently a Zoo
>supplier.  Has anyone heard anything about it?

I have had my 6 ferrets on Mazuri ferret food for the past several months
and they are doing great on it, soft and healthy fur.  Before Mazuri I had
tried a number of types of ferret and kitten foods and this is by far the
best I have found and is much more economical than other ferret foods.  I
pay $25 Canadian for 25 lbs compared to $8 for 2.5 lbs of 8-in-1.  Mazuri is
higher in protein and fat than most ferrets foods, 38% and 20.5%
respectively, so they eat and poop less.  Since I switched my oldest ferret
has had a lot more energy and is eating much better than she was before.  I
am very happy with this food but I don't know how readily available it is, I
order it through the animal care facility at the University.

Does anybody have any experience with Sentinel - the heartworm and flea
protection?  What is the dose, any potential side effects, is there a
minimum weight the ferret needs to be to take it?  Any information that
people can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.  I have discussed
heartworm protection with my vet and she feels that it is not necessary
because there is a low incidence of heartworm in this area and most dogs and
cats are on heartworm prevention.  Also, there have been no studies done on
the safety of heartworm preventative medications in ferrets.  Personally, I
would feel more comfortable if my girls were on something preventative.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Carolyn and her 6 furry kids
Ceres, Nahanni, Pandora, Ate, Gentian and Bijoux

Carolyn McColl
Division of Life Sciences
Department of Endocrinology and Immunology
University of Toronto at Scarborough
Scarborough, ON  M1C 1A4