From:
Erik and Shanna Gamache <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 23:21:38 -0800
I have a beagle with my furkids.  I have to say that she is an excellent
dog with them.  Flower was her best friend.  I DID get her as a puppy
and already had the fuzzies so she knows nothing different than having
a house full of ferrets.  She is very gentle with them.  Everyone here
keeps talking about beagles being hunting dogs and that is definitely
true but as far as I know, they are mostly used for tracking.  My dog
does exactly that.  She follows the ferrets around with her nose on their
tush.  But, she is VERY gentle with them.  I would strongly encourage
anyone getting a beagle or any other dog to get the dog as a puppy if you
want to be able to have it around the ferrets (I hate saying this because
I'm a big humane society supporter and that often means adult dogs, but I
feel safer this way with the furkids).  I also highly encourage at least
basic obedience classes with your dog especially if you are getting a
hound (hunting dog).  They are ruled by their nose and you need to have
some control over them.  I would also say that you should NEVER create a
situation where the dog feels like it is competing with the ferrets for
food (eg eating a sandwich in front of them if the dog is used to getting
a bit of your sandwich).  Beagles and most hounds are big eaters and they
don't need to feel like the ferret might get the treat instead of them.
Lastly, NEVER leave any dog unattended with your ferrets.

Beagles have a great reputation with kids and tolerate other pets, (cats
and dogs) well.  I think, if you take the proper amount of time with your
beagle and your ferrets, it can work.  Good luck on whatever decision you
make:)

Shanna