From:
Urban Fredriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1993 13:50:41 -0500
Anyone out there has any experience with the brushing of teeth?
Does it do any good, and how should you do it?

Day before yesterday I we went to the meeting our local
organization has once every fortnight in the south of Stockholm.
A short lecture on shows, rules and by what criteria the ferrets
are judged. I learnt that I cut the claws incorrectly. The cut
should be paralell to the ground when the ferret is standing up.
I've always angled my cuts slightly.

Good news: The State Veterenary Authority will soon for the first
time import a distemper vaccine specially made for ferrets.
Hopefully it will arrive before the 25:th, when they visit us to
collect blood samples connected with Aleutian Disease research
(they'll cut a claw so it bleeds and collect three drops of
blood), so we can get them vaccinated at the same time. If there
are any more Swedish readers of this list: Ask for Fervac next
time you have your ferrets vaccinated.

There is no Aleutian Disease nor Rabies in Sweden, so it is not
permitted to give animals shots against that until/if the
diseases arrive in Sweden.

So far I've had no troubles whatsoever with bringing Alison &
Natasha with me when I go different places. Last week I took them
to the office with no problems for example, and it seems they
like going away, but I can tell you Natasha sure didn't like to
be put down on the middle of the floor in one of the largest
malls in Stockholm.

No panic reaction or anything, it's not like that -- and I can
see a marked improvement in them both. They're calmer when
meeting lots of people and dogs than before. Alison surprised me
last week by going to greet a large dog we met, and standing on
her hind legs to get up to his head to sniff on the curls hanging
down in front of his face.

What can I tell you more, well, they've started to obey me. This
week when I took them down in the cellar to do the laundry, I
didn't bother with leads, and when I told them to not go under
the washing machine, they didn't! This is a good sign, especially
since it is hard to reach behind it where the opening is.

A few weeks ago, I made a mistake in connection with that; When
Alison was starting to crawl under it when it was working, I made
quick decision to go after her instead of the emergency shutoff.
Luckily I got her in time.
--
 Urban Fredriksson  [log in to unmask]