From:
David Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 1995 07:37:40 -0800
my now 12 week old ferret Rune is still not getting along at ALL with my
older ones...  she continues to bite at them extensively, scruffing them
basically, grabbing the back of their necks and biting firmly then actually
dragging them along the ground and shaking them.  Even when they surrender
and get all submissive and whimper, hiss or chitter pitifully Rune does not
stop but continues constantly.  It is causing Helen to become very
withdrawn, afraid to be handled (she practically clings to me for dear life
when I pick her up) while Ceridwen who has been normally quiet has begun to
actually dook (first time I have ever heard her do that) and actually
initiates some play with me now.  So the question is, how much of this is
just ferret play, ( no sense in mentioning dominance behavior since Rune is
pretty much hands down leader here, even though she cant seem to get that
through her head) how much of this needs to be stopped, and how long can I
really just keep Rune in a separate cage which I dont want to do cos sooner
or later they will have to get along somehow.  Ceridwen, when I have
separated them for a couple days, actually seeks Rune out...so...  sigh.
Help.

This is another basic question I have about Rune.  I would think that she
would learn a bit faster as a young ferret to do or not to do things.
Instead she seems to be having a REAL hard time with this.  She can't drink
out of a bowl to save her life, after repeatedly trying, although it's
DAMNED funny to watch her try...  she'll dunk almost her whole head in,
freak out at getting wet, sputter and splash water about and lick it off her
face then try again or just flop her paws head and all right into the water)
She hasn't learned that falling from heights is a bad thing even after
repeatedly falling from different places.  (Hence having to keep either a
constant eye on her when she is out of her cage, or keep her in it (the
older pair have the three tiered cage while I have another smaller one level
cage I used for them before I got Rune)) Most importantly, when I discipline
her with a gentle scruff or bap on her nose she doesn't get the clue at all.
I am consistent in my methods to ensure she does not get confused, but all
scruffing her seems to do is make her more hyper,instead of calming down a
little and learning that certain things should not be done, the moment I set
her down she will turn around and race at me and try to nip and play.

So.  How much of this is normal, how much isn't, and what can I do?

Also:  What do I do about plaque/tartar buildup on their teeth?
       What can I do about their callouses on their tactile pads?
       Helen also has what appears to be a dead tooth but it is not
       causing her any pain, should I leave it alone or have it taken
       care of somehow?

Much thanks in advance
Dave Welch
Rune "Hunter" Ferret
Helen "Clinger" Ferret
Ceridwen "See? I do have vocal chords" Ferret