From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 12:25:00 EST
Dave, fascinating subject don't you think?  It's a constant battle in my
mind because most mustelids are solitary animals.  I'd like to know, what
their closer relatives are... social or solitary.  The only animal that I
know is social off hand, that is like a ferret are the meerkats.  But I
think... they are not related?  Does anyone know how close they are or
are not?  What about otters.  They are very social.  How close are they
to our ferrets?

From years of experience, I think ferrets personalities dictate most of
what we should do.  I've had solitary ferrets.  I've had groups.  I don't
really see that neither had any disadvantages to tell you the truth.
Except... when I would get a ferret with a questionable or solitary past,
and then he has to learn to live in groups.  I feel much of the time...
even if they adjust just fine, that they'd be better off as solitary
ferrets (but have close bonds with humans and/or other species).

One thing nags at me though.  Most of my ferrets insist on sleeping
together in a huge nest in a "burrow" (tent, sleep sack, etc).  If they
have an entire floor to a home, with tons of sleeping areas.....why do
they insist on staying together?  If they were solitary in nature, would
they not be a bit territorial?  Would they not sleep a lone much of the
time?  But they don't.  In fact, I use the ferret as an example in social
stories when I give lessons to children with special needs.  I use them
as an example of how to be polite.  Ferrets who live together and like
each other, never break out into real fights (or if they do it must be
rarely), they don't take anything out of each others mouths, and at times
respect each others property.  I find it all very fascinating.  This is
all opposite of solitary animals I think.

Is it wrong for a ferret to be an only ferret.  I don't think so at all,
as long as it has plenty of stimulation from its human, and from other
housepets.  In fact, I can tell you that my solitary ferrets were they
most spoiled and doted on ever.  I do feel that when I would add a
ferret.... there was a stimulation that nothing else could provide.  We
saw a happy animal turn absolutely joyous at times.  But when you are
talking three or more?  I think the attention and intimacy goes down a
notch.... but they have each other, a whole different alternative.

I"d like to hear others imput on this.  I often question if having seven
ferrets is good for them at all.  I love having one or two ferrets.
That's my personal fav.  But my family loves groups of ferrets... I was
outvoted. :)

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/